Back in the day, there were no fancy cameras that gave colourful pictures. Pictures were taken on important occasions that captured priceless moments. Apart from the option between a black and white, and a coloured photograph, another thing that was different back then was they the photographs could not be backed up digitally so, they had to develop the camera roll. This meant developing each and every photograph that was on that roll. Only the goods ones would survive and the subpar photographs hardly surfaced. The developed photographs used to be preserved in beautiful photo albums so that they could be enjoyed for years to come.
All hard documents, especially photographs are, however, subject to wear and tear that is endured over time, even if they are safely kept in a folder. They can get stuck to each other, or just slowly start fading away. Unfortunately, these developed images cannot last forever. They could not be preserved for a long time also because of the inferior quality of the photo ink and the paper that was used back then. As time passed by, the quality of these photos also started to deteriorate resulting in beautiful yet damaged and tattered photographs.
With the advancement in technology, photo restoration services was introduced, whereby such old photos could be converted into digitalised images and be edited by help of any of the software programs to restore them or to even convert them from a black and white image to wonderfully coloured one. The amazing thing was that since the colours of the clothes could not be guessed or remembered, they could be of any colour as the image editor wished. So, after an image is restored, it can look fresh and polished, all depending on the photo editing and restoring skills of the image editor.
With the help of digital photo restoration, all the dirt that gets stuck to pictures, various scratches and other marks can be removed by painting over them with caution. The hues of the photo can also be tweaked and the images can easily be revamped to a whole new level. There are various services available online that you can hire to restore your photographs. However, since photo restoration is not a very daunting task, you can do it yourself. It does take time to perfect, so you’d better practice a lot before handling a photograph that has to be restored for a special reason.
In a nutshell, the most basic way of digital photo restoration in Photoshop is to make a high-resolution scan of the photograph on a 36 Mega pixel camera and then repairing it with the help of Photoshop. Scanning is an easy process and requires few seconds only. The time taken to restore the digital photograph depends on the amount of damage that the photograph has been subjected to and what the desired end result is. Sometimes, the photos have completely faded and even the faces cannot be made out. Such problems cannot be corrected. However, old photos that haven’t undergone such deterioration can be restored and be made to look new again.
Steps to restore old photographs are as follows
- Scan the old photo and ensure that it results in a large, high quality digital copy of the picture as that yields better end results and is easier to use.
- Use Photoshop. Open up the image in Photoshop and create a second copy of the image.
- Carry out the basic fixes like correcting the alignment of the photograph, or crop and straighten it, if so desired.
- Try a filter that makes the image look better, reducing the noise of the image.
- Fixing the damaged spots is the next step. This phase demands a lot of patience and an eye for detail. Your aim, while restoring the image, is to carefully remove all the stains and marks on the photograph without changing or impacting much of the original photograph. The following Photoshop tools can be used: Patch tool, Clone Stamp and the Spot Healing Brush. These tools are beginner-friendly and hence, are easy to use.
- Edit the colouring of the image. Taking the assumption that old photos are faded, you would want to improve their colouring, enhance a certain tone and positively impact the vibrancy of the image. Photoshop helps you do all this.
- So, after you have tweaked the contrast, brightness and exposure, you can either stop here if you have your needed result or you can try out some advanced tools that affect the Curves and Levels of such image.
- When you are happy with your result, don’t forget to save the new image! You can then delete unedited version of the photograph.
Editing and restoring old photographs can actually be a fun activity when armed with strategic photo restoration techniques and encountered with the right attitude. Some people really detest sitting in front of a computer for hours trying to fix an old image but there are many people who find genuine satisfaction in doing the same, not only for themselves but also for others and this is one of the reasons why image editors in a best photo restoration company are very passionate about their jobs.
Photo restoration has been made accessible to the layman with the help of Photoshop. Perfecting an image does take time, effort and patience but it is also an interesting activity to undertake. However, in case you are not one who enjoys the same, companies offering professional damaged photo repair services can always be engaged. This is in fact a better option as the image editing experts in such companies know to do the things perfectly and within a really quick turnaround time. If you are busy with your daily chores, rely on a professional company and be assured to best outcomes.
Old photo restoration is definitely a cord back to memory lane. Photographs speak of the olden times witnessed by people when the world was completely different from what it is today, and Photoshop plays the role of a miracle by bringing those precious memories back to life.