So, this is going to be a tutorial that will take you through different stages and steps that you need to follow while designing a magazine cover.
Setting Up Your Cover Template in InDesign
In this tutorial you will see how to create a magazine cover in Adobe InDesign. Also Adobe Photoshop is used to edit the cover images.
Here, we will create a simple template for the magazine cover we are designing
- Launch Adobe InDesign and open up a new document by going to “File>New>Document”.
- Set the “Intent” to “Print”. Choose option you want from the “Page Size” menu drop-down. You can also set the measurement as you prefer.
- On all sides, keep 12 mm for the margins
- Into the foremost “Bleed Text Box”, key in 5 mm
- Key in a different value for the “Left Box”
- Leave the “Right Box” as 0 mm, which will provide you the option to expand the page later, if need be
- Create the cover template by clicking on “OK”
Now it is time that we create a befitting layer for the cover.
- Open a layer from the “Layers Panel” andname it.
- Once you do that, then create three more layers on top of the first layer and name the same as follows one over the other;
- Typography Behind
- Image in Front
- Typography in Front
- Now, leaving the layer “Typography Behind”, get all the layers locked.
Giving Your Cover a Brand Appeal
Give your magazine a befitting title
- Unlock the “Typography Behind” and use the “Type Tool” tocreate a text frame.
- Now, from either from the“Character Formatting Controls” or the “Character Panel”, type the name you want to give your magazine.
- You may want to make the letters block to be a little more prominent
In order to make your title all the more enticing and attractive, the following tips can be implemented
- Experiment with adjusting the spaces between all the characters. It is also called tracking.
- You can also use kerning, which is to alter the space between two characters to make your title appeal more like a logo.
Give your magazine a subtitle. There are two ways to format the subtitle;
- Choose the same font and style as you have selected for the title
- Choose another font that has contracting qualities and attributes to your title font
Here, you need to add all the other details that come on the magazine adjacent to the title
- Create a frame to the right side of the subtitle
- State the number of the issue and date
- On the top right side of the cover, add another frame and give price
- You may also place a barcode, if you would like
Selecting and Placing the Cover Images
This is perhaps the most vital phase among different steps to create stylish magazine cover designs. Make sure that the image you select and the way you use it give each edition a unique vibe.Always ensure that you have a set of rules to always select the images as it can make the entire process easier.
Pay attention to the following aspects while selecting the image;
- It must have an intriguing and enticing subject
- Consider the space available if you are trying to get an image shot at a landscape or a group image
- Pay attention to the composition of the image
Now if you have the image with you, you can set the image onto the template you have created.
You can experiment with different positions- up, side and sidewise. You can also flip the image to see if it offers a better feel to the cover. This step plays a crucial role in ensuring best magazine cover layout design.
After placing the image as you wish, it is time to change the color of the text.To do so you can use;
- “Eyedropper Tool”to click on a photo part for picking up color
- “Color Picker Window”
If you would like to use a custom color, you can follow the steps given below;
- Select “New Color Swatch” from the drop-down menu of the “Swatches Panel”
- Change the “Color Type” as “Process”
- Change the “Mode” as “CMYK”
- To create the desired color, move the sliders around
- Once you have the color you like after clicking “Add” and press on “OK”.
Giving your images a 3D effect
You might have seen some magazines covers jump at you. Have you ever thought, what makes it possible?
Well the answer is 3D.
Now, let us see if we can give that feel to our magazine cover as well through 3d effect magazine cover designing.
Ensure that the image is perfectly aligned on your cover and you are happy with it. Now, follow the steps;
- Have the “Background Layer”locked in “Layers Panel”
- Get the layer named “Image in Front” unlocked
- Now, “Save” thedocument
- Minimize the active window.
Now, the rest of the process needs to be done on Adobe Photoshop. Editing of magazine cover image in Adobe Photoshop has to be done strategically.
- In Adobe Photoshop, open the original cover image.
- Using the “Polygonal Lasso Tool of Photoshop”, trace overends of object in the cover image. It is okay to be not too perfect with tracing.
- Use “Refine Edge” after you have done looping the object to make the complete selection.
- Once you are satisfied with the result, close the window.
- The copy the same and paste the same onto another layer.
- Switch the background layer’s visibility off and save the file retaining your image’s transparent background.
Now, it is time to get back to the InDesign document.
- Use the “Rectangle Frame Tool”and make anew image frame.
- Place the Photoshop file on the “Image in Front” layer
- Scale the file to match the position and size of the object on the below image
By this simple method, you can create a 3D effect of you magazine cover image. If you outsource magazine layout design services to experts, you can suggest your preferences in this regard.
Formatting the Typography of Your CoverIt is not only the image and the name of the magazine that attracts the readers to buy the magazine. The articles teasers also play one of the most important roles.
In order to entice people to buy your magazine you can place various subheadings of article teasers to attract readers.
You can choose any design, structure and hierarchy you feel the best. However the best way is to place the teasers around the main objective proffering the central image a sense of hierarchy.
Also ensure that there is a natural order to the teasers you place, making the readers to always look for on the cover.
- Now, you can go back to the “Layers Panel” and have the “Typography in Front”, which is the top layer, unlocked.
- Now, use the “Type Tool” and create as many text frames as you need with different sizes.
- Select fonts to make it all the more elegant
- Also add colors that fit them best in the context.
Expanding the Cover for PrintingNow that you are happy with the cover page you can have get it printed.
Save the file before you expand the cover; this is one of the vital magazine design tips. Once you do that then Pages panel can be expanded.
- Create a replica of your cover.
- Calculate the width of your cover that includes the spine, the front side and the reverse side.
- Mark the edge out of the spine and back cover.
- Go to “Document Setup” from “File”
- Adjust the “Left Bleed” with the desired value and click on “OK”
You must also place enough content on the inner sides of the cover, which will be the very first and last page of the magazine.
- To duplicate, drag“Page 2” over to the “Pages Panel’s”“Create New Page” button
- Once the duplication is carried out, edit the content as per your requirements.
Now that you have done the entire process, you can save the file in the PDF form and export. If you need any specific quality, format and range, ensure that you have selected all the required values before exporting.
Now that your cover is exported, you can send it off to your printer to get it printed. If you want to stay away from the efforts and complexities involved in designing, rely on experts offering exceptionally stylish magazine cover designing services and stay confident.